Spring is on the way!
As we wrap up this strange hot and cold winter, it’s time to invite color back into our lives. The world outside may be dull and gray, but inside, your house can be as bright and as bold as you want.
Exciting colors freshen up a tired space. They can add cheer to both your house and your life. With bold colors and eye-catching accent pieces, a room has energy and warmth. There are so many creative ways to add a vibrant splash of color to your house. Check out a few of my favorite examples below.
Or, if you’re brightening up a small space, try adding an accent wall in an exciting shade of turquoise or tangerine.
Pick a focal point in the room and use color to draw attention to it. This can be a chair, a wall, an art piece, or even a vase. Use the color wheel to pick a shade that stands out from the other colors in the room.
Feeling bold? Embrace your new color scheme with window treatments or rugs.
It’s all about the contrast. The higher the contrast, the crisper a room feels. Less contrast presents a warmer space. Choose the one that best suits you.
Compliment those bold shades with neutral hues such as white, beige, or black to keep the color from overwhelming. Building on a neutral color lets those exciting accents stand out even more.
Remember, this is your house. Choose colors that make you happy and add cheer to your life. If you find a statement piece that you can’t live without, build the rest of the room around it. Make your home unique and a perfect reflection of you.
Life can delight you in the most unexpected of ways. Today I traveled to Boston to visit clients. On my walk to their home, I took a turn down a typical Beacon Hill road and found myself in front of a gorgeous display of Fall festivity. The residents of the neighborhood had adorned their window boxes with incredibly detailed and beautiful displays of flowers, pumpkins, and greenery. I couldn’t help but stop and admire the view, snapping a few pictures of my favorite window boxes along the way, including the one above.
Autumn is a season for beauty and warm colors, like reds, oranges, and golds. As I admire the changing leaves outside my window, I find myself drawn to some of the new Fall fabrics that reflect the changing season. Look below to see some of my favorites!
Some new fabrics from Trend!
I also love these fabrics from Fabricut.
And Stout recently released some beautiful gold fabrics!
Plus check out these Fall reds from RM Coco.
Let me know what your favorite is too.
These days everything can be controlled by technology. You can adjust your heat, even when outside your house. You can set automatic lights to make an empty house look occupied. You can even turn on a cooling fan remotely. So why not your blinds?
Did you know you could lower your blinds at home in Massachusetts while enjoying a relaxing vacation in Florida? With today’s newest advances in motorization, it is possible to sync your blinds with anything from a wall remote to a handheld controller to your personal device, be it phone or tablet.
Today I attended an amazing seminar by Hunter Douglas, learning the ins and out of window blinds motorization, and I’m really excited to share my new knowledge with you. So read on and enjoy seeing how this new technology brings about intelligent shades that simplify your life.
- Precise Operation – precise control of various products, whether up, down, tilt, or traverse
- Flexible Schedules – with the PowerView App, you can schedule the exact movement of your shades to occur automatically
- Energy Efficient – link to sunrise and sunset times as calculated by PowerView to control solar energy or wake with the sun
- Security – adjust shades while you are away with RemoteConnect on your smartphone or tablet
- Child Friendly – battery-powered and cord-free, the operation is both aesthetically pleasing and safe for children and pets
- Diverse – contains the widest array of innovative styles, colors, and fabrics
- Battery Powered – this makes them easy to install, operate, and maintain
How it works:
- Start with a PowerView Pebble, the handheld control and entry point for the entire system. Both elegant and simple, it is the perfect union of form and function to operate your shades on command without lifting more than a finger.
- Prefer a convenient fixed location to operate your shades? Simply opt for the Surface Remote which has all the same features as the Pebble Remote, only it remains solidly fixed to the wall.
- Explore direct control from your phone or tablet. Activate the PowerView App, and enjoy sending shades to specific positions and levels with a swipe of the finger. Simply create Rooms on the app, add your shades, and make a selection, adjusting one or even all of your shades with ease.
- Set your Scenes and decide which Rooms you want operating independently or in total synchronization, from raising the bedroom and kitchen shades in the morning to adjusting the living room shades in the afternoon to lowering all the blinds in the entire house at night. The choice is yours. Individual Rooms and Multiple Room Scenes can be controlled to activate a host of movement throughout the house with a single press.
- Enjoy RemoteConnect which allows you to activate Scenes from anywhere in the world via your phone or tablet on the PowerView App. RemoteConnect works through a secure Hunter Douglas server to keep your home safe and protected.
Happy New Year! Every January, I look forward to writing my newsletter and unveiling to you the NEW color of the year. Since 2000, the Pantone Color Institute has been designating a color of the year to express in color what is taking place in the global trends. This year, in an unprecedented event, Pantone has announced two colors for 2016: Rose Quartz and Serenity.
Separately, each color brings in something different. Rose Quartz is a persuasive yet gentle tone that conveys compassion and a sense of composure. Serenity is weightless and airy, like the expanse of the blue sky above us, bringing feelings of respite and relaxation even in turbulent times. And when joined together, Rose Quartz and Serenity promote an inherent balance between the warmer embracing rose tone and the more tranquil cool blue, giving us order and peace.
There are many beautiful fabrics and trims to choose from. Get a window treatment for your bathroom or toss a few new pillows on to your sofa or bed.
If you choose to embrace the Rose Quartz side of the spectrum, try a nice splash of Rose Quartz with accents and accessories in neutrals, like decoration in the Melbourne restaurant Entrecôte pictured below:
Or consider leaning towards the baby blue of Serenity for more of a neutral approach while still maintaining the desired aesthetic. Check out the example below:
Want to see more fun ideas? Check out our Pinterest board for other exciting ways to decorate and accessorize with the new 2016 colors. Happy New Year!
Recently the lighting store, Patti Bros, contacted me about an opportunity to showcase some examples of my window treatments on their windows in their newly renovated store. For the past several weeks, I’ve had a phenomenal time picking out fabrics, trims, and treatment styles to display on their windows. Each treatment ended up being a different style, giving me a chance to really get creative.
I decided on a Relaxed Roman for that window, which is a simple but elegant design that perfectly showcased the Patti Bros. emblem I had embroidered on the center. The process to add personalized embroidery to the Roman was a surprisingly pleasant and easy experience.
Once the emblem was made, there were still a few things I had to do myself, like add blackout lining to the fabric to keep the embroidered design clear and beautiful despite the sun’s strong rays. Then I used the fabric, keeping the emblem centered, to make my finished Relaxed Roman shades. The shades are now installed at the Patti Bros. shop and I love the way they immediately draw your eyes when you enter the shop. The embroidery just sets off the whole design and makes it pop.
Here’s what it looks like in the shop:
But embroidery doesn’t have to be limited to window shades alone – you can embroider valances, pillow shams, pillows, shower curtains, and more! The possibilities are endless!
Take a look at a few more “Behind the Scenes” pictures of the embroidery process below!
As the month of April wraps up, it is time to wrap up our series on the psychology of colors with one last post.
Brown, White, and Black are essential colors, and it’s nearly impossible to decorate without them. So what do each of these shades say? Let’s take a look.
Often a favorite color for clothing, black brings power and sophistication. Black evokes potential and possibility with an air of mystery. It is an elegant color, but too much of it while decorating is overwhelming and can darken a space. Use black sparingly, and you’ll be sure to add grace to any room.
People typically associate cleanliness and purity with white. It is a fresh, bright color that opens a space and creates a very meditative and settled feeling. White is a very neutral color and works well with another color to accent and liven up the space.
Brown is a very sincere and stable color. The rich, earthy tone brings a feeling of orderliness and can be used as a grounding color. Brown is a color of nature and brings that atmosphere into the room. It works best as an accent color and compliments many different shades on the spectrum, bringing warmth to any room.
Which of these is your favorite? Did any meanings surprise you?